Your fireplace can help keep your home warm during the winter, but if not properly maintained, can also cause some serious problems: according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, fireplaces are the cause of more than 25,000 house fires every year. One of the best ways to keep your fireplace in Newington, CT operating safely is with routine maintenance performed by trained professionals, like the ones at Dynamic Mechanical Heating & Air Conditioning.
Maintenance by Type of Fireplace
Fireplaces can burn wood, gas and even be electrical. As such, maintenance for each type is a little different:
- Annual inspection of fireplace and chimney to check for possible obstructions and creosote build-up
- Check of chimney cap
- Professional chimney cleaning (also known as chimney sweeping)
- Inspection of fireplace and chimney
- Make sure fan and air passages are clean
- Check vents
- Check millivolt output
- Make sure any decorative logs are clean and free of debris
If any of these components need cleaning or adjusting, it should be scheduled and completed before operating the fireplace.
- Check to make sure air inlets aren’t blocked
- Check thermostat
- Check to make sure unit is clean
NOTE: unit should always be unplugged while performing maintenance.
Safety Measures You Can Take
There are a few safety measures you can take, too:
- Keep a fire extinguisher available at all times
- Keep all flammable items away from the hearth
- Use a screen for gas and wood-burning fireplaces
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home
The cold weather may seem like it’s far away, but fall is just around the corner. If your fireplace in Newington, CT is part of your fall and winter heating, now is a great time to call for fireplace maintenance service. Let our professionally-trained technicians help you get your fireplace in shape in time for the cold weather – call Dynamic Mechanical Heating & Air Conditioning today!